Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Covers

I'm naive in this area. For Natalie's Story I just uploaded a picture of the beach from when we went on vacation a few years ago. There is a beach scene in Natalie's Story so it's not a huge stretch, but still not the picture I'd like to use for the cover.

I've read about websites where you can buy a photo and use that for your book, but I have no idea how these things work. I need simple instructions in English, not lawyer talk, to follow.

Can anyone clue me in?

2 comments:

  1. We've started a whole new covers sub-forum in absolutewrite (in the self-pubbing area). There are a lot of ways you can go. I'm about a 7 on a 10 scale of photoshop expertise, so I do my own covers. Couple key things; you want your image to be at least 300dpi (not the standard 72dpi that pops up when you go to do photoshop work). You have to watch out for "bleed," which is how close to the edges your text/pictures get (back edge, front, top, bottom, sides, and spine) because parts will be cut off depending on who you are getting to pub it. If you are going to use an image, make sure it is legal and make sure it is a very high quality; covers sell books. Bad covers doom books. We can help you design your own stuff at aw :) PS I'm NOT an expert in this area; just responding to your question because I've been dealing with this a lot in the past month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will check it out. Appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete