Friday, April 23, 2010

And Down She Went

Years ago, my 9 year old was diagnosed with a condition called Vaso Vagal Syncope. She would have what I thought were some sort of drop seizure. She would yawn and get real pale, sometimes blue around the lips, and then just fall over. One time when it was happening, I grabbed the camera, and caught the whole thing on tape. I then showed it to her doctor.

The doctor sent her to a neurologist and a cardiologist. The neurologist ordered 2 EEGs and said she was fine. The cardiologist diagnosed her with VVS. It seemed that whenever Boo was scared or hurt, her blood pressure would and heart rate would drop causing her to faint. She didn't always lose consciousness, but it was always scary.

The cardiologist told us to keep her well hydrated and make sure she got a high salt diet. She has gotten better throughout the years, only having an episode when she got really hurt. It went from happening a couple times a month to a couple times a year.

Boo had always fainted while with me... up until this week. On Wednesday, I got a call from the school. And you know when the school calls, your heart stops for a moment. Things start racing through your mind. Someone had bumped her ear during P.E. causing the earring hole - which we always have problems with - to bleed. Boo went to the nurse to stop the bleeding. The nurse dabbed the back of her ear and down she went!

On the phone, the nurse asked if this had ever happened before. I was glad she couldn't see me roll my eyes as I explained that it should all be in her file. I'm not sure why they didn't pull up her file before contacting me. Obviously, I want to know when this happens. But, maybe they wouldn't have freaked out so much if they had bothered to peek.

I hurried over to the school and picked Boo up for an hour. She came home with me, rested on the couch a little, and ate some lunch. By then, she was fine and wanted to go back to school so she didn't miss recess.

Never a dull moment around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment