I consider my family to be slightly crunchy. What does this mean? What do I do that makes us only slightly crunchy?
- I breastfeed exclusively for 6 months.
- I let the child wean when she's ready. So far, the longest any of my children has nursed was 2 years. The others weaned themselves at 18 months and 15 months.
- I wear my baby.
- I co-sleep.
- I do not vaccinate right now. If I decide to, it will be delayed and selective.
- I make some of my own baby food.
- I use cloth diapers. At night, I will use a disposable and if my child is having diarrhea, I will use disposables.
- I have always used a midwife. I have never had a homebirth due to circumstances outside of my control.
- I have always had a vaginal birth without any pain medication or epidurals and as little interventions as possible.
- I use natural family planning most of the time. During the time where I'm not sure when I'm ovulating, we do use condoms.
- I will use natural remedies and herbs/oils, but I also will go to a doctor if I feel the need.
- My kids go to public school. I do wish I could homeschool.
- I drive a mini-van.
- I eat whatever I want.
As you can see, some of those things are crunchy, some are not. For our family of 7, we need a big car, little hybrids don't work. I also have no intention of changing my diet to be more crunchy. I send my kids to school for my own sanity. To be fair, the schools they go to are excellent. Right now, I'm okay with being only 'slightly crunchy'.